I don’t get to watch a lot of daytime television, mostly because I am at work during the day. But a couple of years ago I was watching the Rachael Ray Show and she made a really delicious looking pasta dish. Since then it has been one of my go-to recipes. It always turns out really well and it is super easy to make!
Extra Spicy Linguine
– 1 lb. linguine or whole wheat linguine
– 1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
– 1 lb. Italian sausages, sweet or hot
– 1 red chili pepper, very thinly sliced
– 3 large cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
– 1 pint cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes
– 2 bundles arugula or 1/3 pound baby arugula
– Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil for pasta. Salt water and cook pasta to al dente, reserve about 1/2 cup of starchy cooking water just before draining.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with EVOO, one turn of the pan. To the hot pan add sausage, brown and crumble 5 minutes. Then add chili pepper, garlic and toss 1-2 minutes. Add cherry tomatoes and cover the pan with a tight fitting lid to burst tomatoes, 8-10 minutes.
3. Shake the pan occasionally to move the tomatoes around a bit. When skins start to burst crack softened tomatoes open with utensil. Reserve 1/2 cup of starchy water.
4. Drain pasta, toss with sausage, arugula and starchy water then season with salt and pepper to taste. If you are using cream, toss the pasta an additional minute to heat the cream through. If the sauce gets too tight, loosen up with some starchy water.
5. If you are serving with mascarpone or ricotta, place a dollop on top of each serving for mixing in.
To make the recipe a little bit healthier, this time I used turkey sausage and ricotta cheese. I thought that the turkey sausage worked really well in the recipe, however I think the cream is better than ricotta. Cream is always a good idea.