The results are in for the Super Bowl Potluck! I’ve decided to post the recipes for the top 3 dishes and they are… Honey Garlic Chicken Chicken “Wings” with Blue Cheese Dip, Chocolate Covered Bacon and Chickpea Salad. Congratulations to Lauren, Sayyad and… me! 🙂
One of the interesting things about these recipes is that 2 of the 3 recipes, the Chicken Wings and the Chickpea Salad, are both from they Looney Spoons Ladies. They focus on making healthy, but delicious recipes. I will start by posting my recipe today and get to the other ones later this week. Also, if anyone wants any of the other recipes, just send me an e-mail or comment on this post and I am sure we can accomodate.
Honey Garlic Chicken “Wings” and Blue Cheese Dip
See Original Recipe, Lord of the Wings
CHICKEN “WINGS” INGREDIENTS:
– 1/2 cup honey
– 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
– 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
– 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
– 2 teaspoons grated ginger
– 1 tablespoon minced garlic
– 1 teaspoon sesame oil
– 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
– 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
– 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
– 3 pounds (1.35 kg) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
BLUE CHEESE DIP INGREDIENTS:
– 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
– 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise (not fat-free)
– 1/4 cup light sour cream
– 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
– 1 teaspoon sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
– 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
CHICKEN “WINGS” METHOD:
1. Whisk together all marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Set aside.
4. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and fold or roll the chicken pieces into uniform oblong “wings.” Place wings on baking sheet close together (touching), as this will help them hold their shape. Reserve the marinade for basting on the BBQ. Bake the chicken for about 10 minutes, until partially cooked and still pink in the middle.
5. Meanwhile, preheat gas grill to medium-high heat. Brush grill rack lightly with oil or spray with cooking spray. Using tongs, transfer par-baked wings to grill and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes per side, basting often with reserved marinade. The more you baste, the better they taste! They should have some nice grill marks on them. Serve hot wings with cold blue cheese dip.
BLUE CHEESE DIP METHOD:
1. Whirl together all dip ingredients in the bowl of a mini food processor until almost smooth. The dip shouldn’t be perfectly smooth like sour cream; it should have some texture, but no lumps. You can mash the blue cheese and mix the dip by hand, but it will be chunky.
I got the chicken marinating and made the blue cheese dip the day before the party. That meant that the chicken was nice and flavourful and the the flavours of the dip had a chance to meld together. It also made cooking the wings on the day of the party very easy.
Everyone seemed to really enjoy these “wings”– there weren’t many left by the time I served myself. I was very happy with the recipe and I will absolutely make them again.