Kale is one of those foods that I know is very good for me, but I just haven’t found many preparations that I have particularly enjoyed. I don’t know that I have ever tasted a kale chip and said “wow, this is so delicious” and even kale in smoothies doesn’t seem to work that well for me (I much prefer spinach). So, I was very pleased when I was served this kale salad for the first time and actually really enjoyed it!
The recipe is from a restaurant called True Food Kitchen. There a handful of them in the States, but I heard about this restaurant as it is part of the same restaurant group, Fox Restaurant Concepts, as The Greene House, a restaurant I visited and loved, while on holidays in Phoenix earlier this year.
The recipe is quite simple, but a really enjoyable way to eat kale. I know, crazy right? The original recipe can be found here, but I have made a few simple alterations that worked well for me.
Tuscan Kale Salad
– 4-6 cups kale, loosely packed, chopped and midribs removed
– juice of 1 lemon
– 3-4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
– 2 cloves garlic, crushed
– hot red pepper flakes
– 2/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (or other flavorful, aged grating cheese such as Asiago or Parmesan would also work well)
– 1/2 cup panko
1.Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and a generous pinch (or more to taste) of hot red pepper flakes.
2. Pour over kale in serving bowl and toss well.
3. Add about half of the cheese and toss again. Put in the fridge and let it sit for at least half an hour.
4. Meanwhile, carefully toast panko in a frying pan.
5. Remove kale from the fridge, add toasted panko, toss again, top with remaining cheese and enjoy!
The original recipe only suggested letting the kale sit in the dressing for about 5 minutes, but I thought the extra time helped soften the kale a little more and made it easier to eat. And actually, I had leftover dressed kale that I left in the fridge overnight and had for lunch the next day and it seemed to stand up really well. No wilting at all!
If you are looking for a new way to enjoy kale, I suggest giving this recipe a try. It’s a bowl ol’ green stuff that tastes pretty great and is also great for you!