Post 4 – Poinsetta Christmas Cocktail
When I had my friends over for dinner this past weekend I also wanted to make some sort of special Christmas cocktail for the occasion. I searched the internet for recipes and came across a pretty good looking one from Nigella Lawson, the super sultry chef from the UK.
I made a few changes to the recipe however. I like adding frozen fruit to cocktails, in part to help keep the drink cold, but I also think it looks pretty– so added in frozen raspberries. Then I also changed the juice from just cranberry to cranberry-raspberry, to reflect the taste of the frozen raspberries (and I just like that juice a little better). And then lastly, rather than making the cocktail in a pitcher, I made each coctktail to order to keep them as fizzy and “fresh” as possible.
Poinsettia Christmas Cocktail
(adapted from Nigella Lawson’s Poinsettia Cocktail recipe from Chatelaine here)
– Bottle of some sort of sparkling wine (Prosecco, Cava, Champagne)
– Some sort of Orange Liquer (Cointreau, Grand Marnier or Triple Sec)
– Cranberry-raspberry juice
– Frozen raspberries
1. Get out the glasses you will be using for the cocktail. I used fairly large wine glasses.
2. Put 2 large spoonfuls of frozen raspberries into each glass.
3. Add the sparkling wine, juice and liquer to the glass using a ration of approximately 3:2:0.5 (or to taste).
4. Serve immediately and enjoy!
I thought this was a pretty great cocktail. Tasted delicious and looked very festive. My only change would be to maybe use a sparkling wine that is a little more dry and perhaps decrease the amount of juice.
Only 2 weeks until Christmas!! Happy Tuesday!